Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Red Cross Training.......

I've been 2 months into my "Red Cross", exposure.  I was overwhelmed at first, with all the things they were trying to get me involved in.  Since I pulled back and slowly eased my way back in their facilities, I have been more at peace with the way things are evolving.
I have started working 1 or 2 days a week in the offices, and have already taken my driving test to be able to drive one of the ERV's to a scene, should a disaster occur in our area.  I have set up more training for the coming month that will help me get more involved in the work I'm doing. 
So, far it's been a nice laid back setting, and I haven't been on an "emergency response" as yet.  I'm sure things will be more dire, when my time comes to take part in my first scene.  Right now I'm making sure that they don't move me too fast and overwhelm me once again with all the different needs, the "Red Cross" has for people to do.

"Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in."
Marjorie Moore